Monday, October 19, 2015

Review: Prisoner of Love - Cathy Skendrovich

'The gun bounced so much in her shaky grasp that if she did fire, he'd likely be the one to catch the bullet.'

26889239

Title: Prisoner of Love
Author: Cathy Skendrovich
ISBN: 9781633754119
Publication Date: October 19, 2015
Publisher: Entangled Publishing
Source: NetGalley



It was supposed to be a girls-only weekend in the California mountains. But when Lucy Parker is carjacked by an escaped prisoner, her fun weekend takes a nighmarish turn. Now she's caught up in a dangerous world of stolen money, vicious drug dealers, and murder, and the only thing keeping her alive is her oh-so-hot captor.

Imprisoned for a crime he didn't commit, undercover cop Jake Dalton wants answers-now. Worse, he's dragged Lucy into the mix, and she's now guilty by association. With their lives on the line, the race is on to get to Las Vegas before they're killed...and they're running out of time.




~*~

Prisoner of Love came off as a bit campy to me.  Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Skendrovich's debut with Entangled; however, there were parts of the plot which did detract from my overall reading experience.

I loved how we hit the ground running with the story, and how Skendrovich continues to keep the tension and pacing at that fast paced level throughout the novel.  And I felt Jake's character was much more fully developed than Lucy's.  Honestly, Lucy kind of annoyed me.  Especially her insta-psuedo-Stockholm-love for her kidnapper, Jake.

Personally, I wish there had been more development to the secondary characters who flitted through the story, and a better ending.  That being said, I will definitely check out more of Skandrovich's writing, because I feel she shows some serious promise to become a master of the romantic suspense genre.

-Digital ARC provide by publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for a review.

No comments:

Post a Comment